Sunday, December 8, 2013
Intellectual Thoughts - Why won't you leave me alone!!
So I am writing my big, giant, end-of-the-quarter paper for PWR. I was getting a little stuck and so I switched to a different screen for a second. As I was doing so, I made the connection that I was aroused by the idea of task-switching which we discussed in my communications class a week ago. I mean SERIOUSLY!, I can't even be distracted from my work without thinking about school. To elaborate: we discussed multitasking. There are two forms of multitasking, dual processing and task switching. Both are bad and make one less effective at work because attention has to be divided between tasks. What is interested about my scenario tonight is the idea of why people constantly switch between tasks. Based on tests with measuring arousal through some scientific thing on your skin, there is a 12 second period of increased arousal before switching tasks. It exists between ANY task switching except from entertainment to work, which I think makes perfect sense. I am not looking forward to going back to work after this wonderful blog post :) But I will do it. Anyway, so people can enter into this "hunting" stage, where they are constantly task switching in order to receive more arousal. However, this does not help productivity. Therefore, I am learning to close my other windows while I work on one thing and only another window up when I am committing to another task for a little while. I am also trying to make sure not to dual multitask because it makes you worse at multitasking and actually damages your brain. This is such powerful and important research for my generation. Few accept it, but they actually need to in order to remain adept at their work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go... putting what you learn in research into practice! That's the sign of one smart woman!
ReplyDelete