Friday, November 22, 2013

SNRAGG - Oh college...

Our Dorm Presidents, Thomas and Triple, asked us we wanted to do Secret Santa inside our dorm for dead week as a holiday festivity. For any of those who don't know, Secret Santa is where you anonymously get someone a couple inexpensive gifts to be fun and thoughtful.

Jordan, "That's fine, but can we please call it something that is inclusive of all religions. We have a lot of jews in the dorm. Thanks."

Fast forward to next house meeting.

Thomas and Triple (with the most serious face you could think of), "Anyone who would like to participate in SNRAGG, Secret Non-Religiously Associated Gift Giver, needs to email us by the end of the week."

Entire dorm erupts in laughter.

Thomas and Triple, "Guys. We're are serious."

Here is the great thing about this:
I totally understand why Jordan spoke up. Religious minorities often experience a lack of respect for their traditions during the holiday season. They would like to participate in the fun activities but would like to do so without it being associated with one particular religion. When I was little, anytime someone would tell me Merry Christmas, I would very loudly tell them that I was Jewish and we celebrate Hanukkah.
However, it has also become a joke (especially in youth culture) to be politically correct. People think its unnecessary and pointless. They say, "It's not a big deal." Often, when people are asked to be politically correct, they think it's work and really just prefer to call it what it feels like to them.
Thomas and Triple made it comfortable for everyone. They turned the situation into a joke that the whole dorm loves. We love SNRAGG. (By the way, we pronounce schnragg) We love the title. It's an inside joke. No one is offended either way. It's fantastic. I love the creativity and respect that our dorm has for each other. It is extremely valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment